Prep time30 minutes
Cook time37 minutes
4 ServingAllergens - wheat, diary
- 1 large onion
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 peppers (different colours),
- 1 x400g tins kidney beans drained
- 1 x400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- lemon or lime juice (to taste)
- Salt and pepper
- 8 flour or corn tortillas (wraps)
Optional: grated cheese, cooked chicken, sour cream or yoghurt, sliced lettuce, chilli sauce
What to do
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the onions.
- Cook them until they are soft, which will take about 15 minutes on a high heat, stirring often.
- Add the garlic, and spices and stir for another 2 minutes.
- Add the peppers and stir them until they are well coated in the spices.
- Add the beans, bay leaves, tomatoes and sugar and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Taste and add salt and pepper and a little more sugar if needed.
To make wraps
- Warm 4 flour or corn tortillas/wraps in the oven (or microwave) place a spoonful of the Beans and Peppers at one end and top with grated cheese. You can also add rice, salad, sour cream/yoghurt, cooked chicken and extra chilli if you like
- Fold the bottom of the wrap over the filling, then fold the edges in, carefully roll the wrap up without squeezing.
- You can also serve this with rice, tortilla chips or baked potatoes