Makes 6-8 sconesAllergens - gluten, mustard, dairy and egg
- 180g self-raising flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 50g butter
- 100g grated cheese
- 6 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 large free-range egg mixed with 4 tablespoons of milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
What to do
Pre-heat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 7.
- Grease a large baking tray with a little butter or oil.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and add the butter; rub it
into the flour until it looks like breadcrumbs.
- Add the grated cheese to the flour with the chopped spring onions
and mix well.
- Add the egg and milk mixture, gradually, until you have a soft dough.
(Reserve a little of the egg for the glaze)
- Pat the scone mixture out on a floured board and shape into a large
round and cut into 6 or 8 triangles. Place the triangles onto the baking
tray and brush with the egg glaze.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until the scones are well risen and golden
brown. Cool on a wire rack and serve warm or cold with butter or
cream cheese and chives.