Cook time45 minutes
- 4 medium carrots (400g) or a sweet potato, peeled
- 1 onion
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- A handful of spinach or a mixture of herbs such as coriander and parsley, all chopped finely
- A tin of chickpeas, drained
- 1tsp each paprika, cumin and dried coriander (and some chilli if you like it hot!)
- 6 tbsp breadcrumbs or polenta (gluten free) or crushed crackers – for coating the bites
What to do
- Preheat the oven to 200c/ gas mark 6
- Wash and peel the carrots (or sweet potato) and chop them into big chunks; about 2 cm wide. Finely chop the onion.
- Place the carrots, chopped onion and garlic in a roasting dish and add 1 tbsp oil.
- Stir so the vegetables are all coated in oil.
- Roast for 30 minutes or until they are soft, stirring half way through.
- Place the cooked carrot mixture in a large bowl and allow to cool.
- Add the drained chickpeas, spices, and any chopped herbs you are using.
- Mash the mixture using your hands, a fork or potato masher (or whizz briefly in a blender). You want the mixture to be chunky so you can still see the different ingredients.
- Have a taste – you can add more spice, a squeeze of lemon, or salt and pepper.
- Wash your hands and form the mixture into small bites size balls. Cover a plate with the crumbs or polenta and roll the Chickpea Bites around until they are coated.
- Drizzle 1tsp of olive oil into the roasting that you used for the carrots. Add the
- Chickpea Bites and roll them around so they have a light coating of oil. Place the tray in the oven for 15 minutes and then turn the bites over and cook for a further 10 minutes. Serve with a pitta bread and salad.