Makes 10-12 piesAllergens - Contains gluten, egg (optional), fish
- 1 pack ready rolled puff pastry
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1⁄2 red pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 small courgette, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tin mackerel fillets, drained
- 1 teaspoon ‘red spice mix’ or paprika
- 1 egg, beaten
What to do
- Preheat oven to 180*c / Gas Mark 4
- In a pan cook the onion, red pepper and courgette in the oil until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the garlic, tomato and spices and cook for 15 minutes until very soft. Stir in the drained mackerel and mix well.
- Taste and season then cool completely.
- Unroll the pastry onto a clean surface. Using a large circular pastry cutter (or plastic cup) cut out as many circles as you can.
- Put 1 teaspoon of the mix into the centre of each piece of pastry. Fold the pastry over the filling until all the edges are touching.
- Squish the edges together by pressing firmly on the pastry with a fork. Place on a baking paper covered baking tray. You can use the remaining pastry to decorate the empanadas if you like.
- Brush with beaten egg and bake for 25 minutes or until the pastry is a deep golden brown and the pies are not soggy