- 2 large onions
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 cardamom pods, squashed
- 1 teaspoon of ground turmeric
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- 250g of basmati rice
- 450ml vegetable stock
- 100g, frozen peas defrosted
- 1 x tin of sweetcorn
- 100g spinach chopped
What to do
- Peel the onions and slice as thinly as possible.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan with a lid and add the onion. Cook over a medium heat and keep stirring until the onions are golden yellow and sticky. This can take up to 30 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and all the spices, Cook for about 1 minute
- Add the rice and stir until coated in all the spices and veg is all mixed around.
- Stir in the stock, put on a lid and cook on a low heat for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the peas, sweetcorn and chopped spinach for the final 5 minutes.