Serves 4Allergens - dairy (optional)
- 3 medium beetroot (500g)
- 1 large carrot (150g)
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme or half tsp dried thyme
- 500ml vegetable stock (a stock cube is fine for this)
- vegetable oil
- juice of one orange
- plain yoghurt (optional)
What to do
- Pre heat oven to 190oC/gas 4-5
- Peel and chop the beetroot and carrot and put into a roasting pan with a little
oil. Mix the vegetables around so all covered with oil, and roast for 30 minutes
- Peel and chop the onion and add to the pan, together with whole garlic
cloves (skin on) and thyme leaves. Roast for a further 30 minutes until all the
vegetables are soft.
- Remove pan from the oven asnd squeeze garlic cloves out of their ‘jackets’.
- Put everything into a saucepan and add the stock, bring the mix to the boil
and then immediately turn down the heat to a simmer for about 20 minutes.
- At this point you can either leave the soup chunky or you can blend it using a
food processor, a stick or jug blender, or even a potato masher.
- Add the orange juice.
- Serve with a swirl of plain yoghurt.