• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 1 onion
• 1 stick of celery
• 1 carrot, peeled
• 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
• 1 tsp of tomato puree
1 kilo fresh tomatoes chopped
1x400ml tin of chopped tomatoes
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• Herbs (if you have them-don’t
worry if not!) 2 bay leaves, a
sprig of rosemary or thyme
What to do
• Cut the onion, celery and carrot into very small pieces
• Warm the olive oil in a saucepan.
• Fry the onions on a low heat until they are really soft. This takes longer than
you’d think, usually about 15 minutes. You don’t want them to go brown so
keep the heat low.
• Add the celery, carrot, garlic and tomato puree and continue cooking gently
for a further 5 minutes until they are softening, add a little water if they stick.
• Add the tomatoes and herbs.
• Cook over gentle heat for at least 20 minutes, or longer if you can.
• Season to taste and use as a delicious pasta sauce or pizza topping.