Serves 4-6Allergens - dairy (optional)
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1⁄4 tsp chilli powder or to taste (optional)
- 1 medium squash, eg butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 400g tin chickpeas or cannellini beans, drained
- 740ml vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- salt and pepper
- 1 lemon, juice and zest (optional)
- yoghurt and fresh mint to serve
What to do
- Heat the oil over a medium heat and cook the onions and carrots for about
5 minutes until slightly softened. Stir occasionally to stop them catching.
Add the garlic and tomatoes, stir and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cumin, chilli powder (if using), tomato paste and season with a few
pinches of salt and pepper and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the squash then add the vegetable stock. Bring to the boil, reduce
the heat and cook for 30-40 minutes until the squash is tender. Add the
chickpeas and simmer for about 10 minutes until the stew is thick, stirring
- Just before serving, stir in the lemon juice and zest (if using), adjust salt and
pepper if necessary.